[PLUG] [OT?] Do functional cell phones exist?

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Wed Dec 23 07:20:42 UTC 2015

OK, I revise my previous answer... IF you are precluding devices capable of
getting on the internet altogether, then that boat sailed circa 2005. I'm
not really kidding...  That's when Cingular and Verizon switched off their
Analog towers, and forced everyone over to Digital... ALL of the
Digital-voice capable phones have always been more electronic than
electrical.

Although (And this feels strongly reminiscent of a rant I went on during
your transition to Linux about the nature of "Multiuser"), I'm not
convinced you actually understand what you're asking for.  A flip phone
will be more remeniscent of a dial-up terminal (The kinds used by telecoms
back in the 1980s to dial into data centers) than a functional computer;
Yes, it may have a "Web Browser," but no one would be satisfied with it's
support for HTML or CSS; And it might also have a VERY limited Java virtual
machine, but it is VERY limited (For both security reasons, and technical
limitations).  I'm really not sure what you THINK your after, but that
Samsung is about as "Dumb" as anything I was suggesting...

--
Tyrell Jentink