[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 27 01:59:33 UTC 2015

My laptop has a Bluray drive. When I insert a DVD Xubuntu 14.04.3
automatically mounts it and usually opens a file browser window in
Thunar. In so doing it creates a mount point
in /media/jjj/<Disk_Title>. The problem is that when the DVD is
removed, whether by pressing the button on the drive or right-clicking
on the drive in "Places," the folder <Disk_Title> is not deleted. This
would be annoying enough, but when I insert another DVD, regardless of
the label on the medium, it mounts it in the same folder. This makes it
impossible to access any of the files on the second DVD because they
are not in that folder.

It is also impossible to delete the folder without manually unmounting
it from the command line. Attempts to delete it, even as root, return
"the device is busy," whether there is media in the drive or not.

I don't recall this ever being a problem in the past. What could have
gone awry to cause this behavior?