[PLUG] Survey: what make/model router do you use at home?

aschlemm at comcast.net aschlemm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 00:52:15 UTC 2015

Answers embedded below.

Thank you,

Tony

----- Original Message -----

From: "Russell Senior" <russell at personaltelco.net>
To: "Portland Linux/Unix Group" <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:40:03 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Survey: what make/model router do you use at home?

Galen Seitz and I are working on a project where we encountered a "bug"
in our hardware/software when connecting to certain off-the-shelf wifi
routers, involving the 4way handshake associated with RSN/WPA2. We are
trying to estimate the probability that customers are going to encounter
this in the field. So far, we know of 4 make/models that are
problematic and 4 make/models that aren't.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability:

1) what is the make/model of the wifi device that you use in your
house? none is an acceptable answer.

Netgear WNDR3700

2) about how old is it (rough guess is fine)?

5+ years

2) is it running firmware from the vendor or have you installed a 3rd
party firmware like DDwrt, OpenWrt or similar?

Vendor supplied firmware

3) Do you now or have you ever exhibited any interest in model trains?
(this is to weight your answer heavier for the target demographic)

I grew up with a 4'x8' HO gauge train table in my bedroom years ago. I sold to my best friend when I got into computers in college. I am starting to build a N scale train table now. I do have some locomotives, but I currently have two MRC throttle packs and I'm working with insulated blocks so I can run two trains at once on my layout. I had the same things years ago with atlas control switches. I have not bought any N scale locomotives with any digital command and control.

The general idea is once we have a guess at what are common devices, we
can obtain access to an example to test against off of ebay or from a
willing volunteer.

You can respond here or mail me directly at wifisurvey at klickitat.com
and I can compile aggregate results.

I appreciate your help!