[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 29 16:37:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 00:06:29 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>johnxj> The computer is otherwise running fine. From past experience
>johnxj> the only way I know to fix this problem is to reboot the
>johnxj> computer. Please don't tell me I must always reboot the
>johnxj> computer in order to change an optical medium. :(
>
>johnxj> Edit: Now I can't even mount a USB drive. It is at least
>johnxj> recognized, but attempts to mount it result in:
>
>johnxj> "Error creating mount point `/media/jjj/128GB': Read-only file
>johnxj> system."
>
>Remove the USB and optical media and in a terminal, run:
>
>  mount

/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs
	(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sdb2 on /home type ext4 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
	(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev) rpc_pipefs on /run/rpc_pipefs type
	rpc_pipefs (rw)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
	(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse
	(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jjj)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/jjj/Movies type ext4
	(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda1 on /media/jjj/Data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

To clarify a couple of things in the above, Data is a second hard disk
in the computer used only for backups. / and /home are on
separate partitions on the main drive. Movies is an external USB drive.

I tabbed some of the above in an effort to make it more readable.

The problem has never manifested itself on Movies, / or /home. And only
one did I have a problem with my 128GB USB stick, not inserted into a
USB port at the time I ran the above. The optical drive (/dev/sr0,
Bluray r/w) was also empty. It is the optical drive that is driving me
crazy.

Last night was the first time I had the (unreachable) message at the
command line, which it continued to display regardless of which drive I
was on at the time. When the (unreachable) message was displayed the ls
command failed, even if I was on /home or /. But I probably caused the
(unreachable) message because it appeared right after I issued a umount
-l command. At the time I was trying to get rid of a mount point folder
that had been created when I inserted the previous DVD. I could not
delete it ("device is busy"), nor could I umount it; that is why I used
the -l option.