[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 29 23:42:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:15:03 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>John> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 00:06:29 -0800 Russell Senior
>John> <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>johnxj> The computer is otherwise running fine. From past experience
>johnxj> the only way I know to fix this problem is to reboot the
>johnxj> computer. Please don't tell me I must always reboot the
>johnxj> computer in order to change an optical medium. :(
>>>
>johnxj> Edit: Now I can't even mount a USB drive. It is at least
>johnxj> recognized, but attempts to mount it result in:
>>>
>johnxj> "Error creating mount point `/media/jjj/128GB': Read-only file
>johnxj> system."
>>>
>>> Remove the USB and optical media and in a terminal, run:
>>>
>>> mount
>
>Okay, now plug your USB thingie and run the plain "mount" command again
>and look for differences.  Likewise, your optical disk.

If I plug in the USB drive the mount command adds a line:

/dev/sdd1 on /media/jjj/128GB type ext4
	(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

And the drive works perfectly.

However, at this point the optical drive won't mount anything. I tried
half a dozen different DVDs, the light on the drive flashes briefly,
then stops. The mount command does not see it, nor is there anything in
the GUI file manager.

Now I'm worried that there might be a hardware failure.