[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 00:43:53 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> If I plug in the USB drive the mount command adds a line:
>
> /dev/sdd1 on /media/jjj/128GB type ext4
>         (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
>
> And the drive works perfectly.
>
> However, at this point the optical drive won't mount anything. I tried
> half a dozen different DVDs, the light on the drive flashes briefly,
> then stops. The mount command does not see it, nor is there anything in
> the GUI file manager.
>
> Now I'm worried that there might be a hardware failure

John

after reading your post abd all the diagnostics and responses, and mulling
it over for a bit while stuck at an airport, I'm going to have to point out
the elephant in the room: systemd.

If really looks like that is what has borked your udev and hotplug
subsystems.

I don't mean to start a flame war, but this core piece of software is far
from ready for prime time.  To be homest, this udev/hotplug issue was
solved over a decade ago.  It has recently popped up with systemd

In your case, what to do?  Back up your stuff, and reinstall Ubuntu. That
might fix whatever piece flipped out during one of Ubuntu's idiotic
constant updates.

Or switch to a non systemd distro.

-Ed

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0