[PLUG] Turning off Firefox "your Adobe Flash player is insecure" nag

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Dec 31 08:28:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 09:48:04PM -0800, Randy Stapilus wrote:
> Not a solution exactly, but I've largely switched over to Chrome for
> exactly that reason. No more nags.

Thanks, Randy.  Though Google does not support Chrome on my main
distro (Scientific Linux 6.6), I was able to get it running with
this hack:

  wget http://chrome.richardlloyd.org.uk/install_chrome.sh
  sudo sh install_chrome.sh

Chrome runs flash a bit faster than firefox, though the looping
control seems different.  Chrome also does not crash with Google
maps like Firefox sometimes does.  However, I am concerned about
security; Google's real customers could be using data that Chrome
gathers.  As I am not a paying customer, I shy away from Google
products, though I do use maps, books, and scholar.  Otherwise,
protopage and duckduckgo are my main search and browsing tools.

There may be a similar SL6 porting hack for Chromium.  Is the
open source version of Chromium Adobe flash compatible?

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com