[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Dec 31 21:40:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 11:28:23 -0800, in message
20151231112823.7a66eb61 at Devil-Bonobo, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:53:28 -0800
> David <dafr+plug at dafr.us> dijo:
>
> >The device /dev/sr0 is typically the first CD/DVD device found by
> >the operating system (and /dev/sr1 would be the second). All it's
> >saying (loosely) is that the device wasn't cleanly closed before
> >eject and an inode is still being "accessed" even if no available
> >any longer by some process.
> >
> >This is why you can't mount anything new at this point with the
> >device still being "busy", according to the kernel.
>
> Is there any way to fix it short of rebooting, which is a PITA?

The commands lsof(8) and fuser(1) can generally tell you what
process is using a particular file.  Once you know that, you can
kill the offending process with extreme prejudice.  (In my case,
it's usually a bash shell; its current directory is set to the
filesystem I want to dismount.)

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--