[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Dec 31 23:44:18 UTC 2015

>> How are you removing the disk?  Do you "unmount" it before pushing
>> the button on the disk drive?

John> In the past I always ejected the media from the optical drive
John> either by right-clicking on the drive as listed in Thunar "Places"
John> and then Eject, or by physically pushing the button on the
John> drive. Both always ejected the media, but apparently once recently
John> the drive wasn't ejected cleanly. I have never unmounted it before
John> ejecting, regardless of which method I use to eject the media.

John> I take note of Keith's suggestion to eject from the command line
John> in order to avoid the mount point remaining. The command 'eject
John> /dev/sr0' does this well. Unfortunately, while the command opens
John> the door, at this point I cannot mount anything because of the
John> busy inodes problem, so I cannot test this to see if it really
John> solves the problem of a mount point not being removed. It may also
John> be easier to unmount from by right-clicking on the drive in
John> "Places," as I recall Unmount is another option as well as Eject.

It Gnome Ubuntu land, there is an unmount/eject clickie.  You may be
able to do this manually, something like so:

  umount /dev/sr0 && eject /dev/sr0

You might need to wrap those in sudo, not sure, untested.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net