[PLUG] Linux Mint 17.x machine brought to its knees after debauchery on my part

Damon Getsman damo.gets at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:31:09 UTC 2015

  I'd actually love to be running slackware again.  My last experience
with it wasn't the best, but I did learn on it back in the early 90s in
the 1.0.x kernel days.
  Before I got this message from you, I actually ended up installing
Debian again, and I managed to get my hands on a little bit more RAM,
so the need isn't quite so dire at this point.  I've got my system
running now with a minimal X manager, when I do need to boot into a GUI
for anything (basically just to run VirtualBox locally, so that I'm
not running it via remote where the connection may drop, thus killing
the VM.
  I do fully intend on playing with Slackware again, but that's probably
going to be waiting until I've got another machine (or virtual machine,
if I decide to start re-learning it again sooner) available here in
probably about 4 weeks.  I have no doubt that it'll make a superior
machine for my requirements, though I'll admit, the last time that I
was doing anything with it I realized how spoiled I'd been by the
dependency resolution features of the different package managers.  From
what you said it sounds like maybe they've got an automated scripting
to handle this now?  I really enjoy compiling my own software, too, and
tailoring options for the machine I'm on, so it'll fulfill my hobby
lust a little bit better, as well.
  Thank you for mentioning it, though.  It's good to see that there are
still Slackware users in the community.  :)
  Best wishes!

  -Damon Getsman

Quoth plug-request at lists.pdxlinux.org,
on or about Wed, 04 Feb 2015 12:00:01 -0800: