[PLUG] Processors for Clinic, Sunday Feb 15

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Feb 12 22:19:20 UTC 2015

At the January Linux clinic, I upgraded processors for a bunch
of laptops, from Intel Socket M T2xxx 32 bit to Intel Core Duo
T7200 64 bit 2GHz 4MB cache.  The latest distros are optimized
for (or require) 64 bit processors.

At this Sunday's clinic, I will focus on the software problems
people show up with, and will not bring my tools for working
on laptops.  Lately, I've been playing with Mate on Scientific
Linux 7, an RHEL clone.

However, if someone wants a T7200 to do the upgrade on their
own (Read the service manual!  Get some good heatsink thermal
compound!) I'll sell them for $10 each.  One per person, up to
three people.  Beyond that I'll show you where to order more.

Note that some less expensive or more compact laptops (i.e.
Thinkpad X60) may use processors that are soldered onto the
motherboard, not upgradable.

I may show up a little late, I have a meeting Sunday morning
that may run over.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com