[PLUG] Remote Access Issue

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Feb 14 15:20:50 UTC 2015

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015, Russell Senior wrote:
>> Ping and ordinary traceroute is an inadequate test. ICMP ping
>> requests are sometimes dropped. You should also test with
>> tcptraceroute, which disguises itself as a regular TCP connection and
>> is much less likely to be dropped. You can try port 80 or port 22,
>> and that should tell you where the packets get lost, e.g.:
>>
>> $ tcptraceroute <ipaddr> <port>
>>
>> One possibility is that your IP address was stale and pointing at
>> someone different than your server. There are many other
>> possiblities.

Rich> Russell,

Rich>    I checked the IP address and used the current one each time.

Rich>    Thanks for the pointer to tcptraceroute.

Rich>    Could the problem be that I no longer use port 22 for ssh?
Rich> Before I left I tested the ssh connection using the high port
Rich> number on the LAN and it worked flawlessly in both directions.

Your gateway router will have a port forward.  If it is pointing at port
22 and you don't use that locally, then yes that could explain it.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net