[PLUG] Remote Access Issue

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sat Feb 14 17:19:22 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015, Russell Senior wrote:
>
> > Your gateway router will have a port forward. If it is pointing at port
> > 22 and you don't use that locally, then yes that could explain it.
>
> Russell,
>
>    That must have been the problem. I logged in to the Netgear's admin page
> and saw that service ssh was assigned to port 22. Changed it to the new
> port
> number, and will take the laptop somewhere today for a test.
>
>    It never occurred to me to look on the router for the ssh port when I
> made
> the changes to sshd_config on the server and ssh_config on the client.
>
> Very much appreciated!
>
> Rich

Also note: you were testing with an IP address other than the one which mail
dot appl-ecosys dot com resolved to:

traceroute to mail dot appl-ecosys dot com (50.38.88.85)
traceroute to 216.99.193.149 (216.99.193.149)

$ host mail dot appl-ecosys dot com
mail dot appl-ecosys dot com    A       50.109.244.181

216.99.193.149 appears to be the IP of your web server, found under appl-ecosys
dot com (sans mail dot).

(I don't know why we're obfuscating the hostname but I just went with it.)

-wes