[PLUG] cron.weekly, early monday morning?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 17 00:48:56 UTC 2015

I've been running an offsite network-hog backup script
once a week, which I foolishly put in /etc/cron.weekly.

Further scrutiny reveals that anacron runs cron.weekly
in the wee hours of Monday morning;  since this script
may need a day to send data over a low bandwidth ADSL
uplink, this is not a good thing to continue through
the workday monday.  Does anyone know why anacron is
configured this way, or where to change it?

Meanwhile, I pulled the job out of cron.weekly and
run it from crontab now, starting friday evening at
2200 (10 pm).

What I would REALLY like is method like "nice" to
prioritize network traffic.  The backup uses
rsync, which can be throttled with the bwlimit
parameter, but I would like rsync to run full
throttle when nothing else is using the network,
then get out of the way for humans.  tc is usable
for traffic shaping, but not agile.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com