[PLUG] Linux (pref Debian) brainstorming group - does one exist?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sat Jan 3 17:54:15 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> I'm working on a personal project has some rather odd (OK already
> WEIRD ;) goals and constraints. I wish to ask questions without
> getting referrals to "How to ask a question" or "don't do that" etc.

I want to start by saying that such endeavors can never work without
someone doing the legwork to find the real info, which you have been doing
admirably. You have clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this and
working on this.

I wish such a group as you've described existed. I would love to at least
see the ideas flowing across, occasionally pitching in to suggest how
something might be made to work. It would expand my horizons and help me to
think outside the box in other areas of life. The problem is, this is a
very (_very_) narrow niche you are looking to fill. Usually people who
develop software and systems do so because it fills a need of their own.
Most engineers aren't often going around solving other peoples' problems
just because.

Your best bet is to find other people in the same situation as you, and
start building a network. Eventually you may find solutions to problems
similar to yours, which you can adapt to your own needs. I don't know of
other such people in this particular community, you may want to trawl other
LUG message archives in order to find them.

Best of luck to you!

-wes