[PLUG] fighting Baidu, phpmyadmin, iptables (resolution)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 3 23:39:09 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 11:33:18AM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> My load average has dropped from 50 to less than one, but being a
> virtual, it is still slow because the neighbors are also being
> attacked.  I may need to move to a faster hosting service.  Sigh.

Indeed, it got worse and worse until I contacted Rimuhosting
tech support.  They fixed things in 30 minutes.  Two of my
thirty virtual neighbors had weak passwords and got rooted
over the holidays.  It was still worth the effort to speed
up my virtual machine, though I may back off just a little
on the iptables sledgehammer.

Holiday hacks are why companies should hire some Muslims.
They will take their time off for Ramadan and Eid and
celebrate A.H. New Year at a different time of year than
Christmas and A.D. New Year.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com