[PLUG] Linux (pref Debian) brainstorming group - does one exist?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Jan 5 11:04:23 UTC 2015

chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a personal project has some rather odd (OK already
>> WEIRD ;) goals and constraints. I wish to ask questions without
>>   getting referrals to "How to ask a question" or "don't do that" etc.
>>

> Wes put his response to this well, and I agree with it.
>
> I think your title was even more spot-on when it used the term
> "brainstorming".  The best place to get rapid interchange of ideas is in
> some real-time forum:  say, a PLUG meeting after-beers (or even an explicit
> meeting to brainstorm on this topic :))  Fall back to a group chat like IRC
> which has some benefits over in-person meeting:  serves geo-distributed
> participants and can allow a history upon which people who couldn't attend
> due to time constraints can still comment.

I chose "brainstorming" not for implication rapid exchanges but
for looser constraints on proper questions.

> Your constraints are as Wes pointed out pretty narrow and specific.  How
> about you tell us the *problem you're trying to solve* [snip]

My questions come not so much from a problem I'm attempting to
solve as from having been inspired by questions/barriers/etc I
ran into when doing a first time install without geographically
close users. Both some goals and some restrictions were prompted
by my investigation of distros other than Debian.

> [snip]
>
> That said, it sounds like some fertile grounds for what you *appear* to be
> trying to accomplish would be in distributions (surely some are
> debian-based) designed for space or third world countries, where bandwidth
> to the outside is extremely limited.

Some of my inspiration came from reading posts from early
embedded Debian projects.