[PLUG] email address obfuscation

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 8 22:21:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 05:46:44PM -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Does anyone with recent experience know if this method of obfuscating
> email addresses on web pages still works to frustrate the spam-bots?

> 44oe@example%2Ec%
> 6Fm'>John.Doe@example.com</a>
>
> (It encodes "John.Doe at example.com", if my sources are correct)
>
> It's been around forever, it would seem that the slimeballs would have
> upgraded by now.

I'm lazy.  I use an image.  If I was less lazy, I would rotate
the image 20 degrees, and decorate it with roses and garlands.
This sounds like a good job for our unemployed slacker artist
friends.  I don't trust any reversable, deterministic algorithm,
and my slacker friends are annoyingly non-deterministic.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com