[PLUG] Recommended Disk Test

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jan 13 19:39:09 UTC 2015

My MythTV box is scheduled to go into the shop on Monday because of an
intermittent freeze. The symptom is that infrequently (once every two
weeks or so, but not regularly) I'll either turn on the TV and get no
response to a keyboard even though my wallpaper is there, or I'll try to
look at a MythWeb page from another machine but won't be able to
connect, or (this happened only once during one of the NFL games last
Sunday) the system will freeze during a show. Recovery requires a power
cycle. Attempts to SSH into the machine fail due to SSH being unable to
find it.

Before I take it in to the hardware gurus I want to be sure I've run
appropriate tests. I ran memtest with no errors. What disk test should I
run that will be a non-destructive test? And, when I run it, do I need
to have the backend and MySQL shut down?

Are there any other tests I can run to try to narrow down the problem?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens