[PLUG] Recommended Disk Test

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Jan 13 13:14:01 PST 2015

On 01/13/2015 12:34 PM, John Meissen wrote:

> What version are you running?

MythTV 27 mumble mumble on a stock Ubuntu 12.04, as opposed to Mythbuntu.

> You're not using that animated holiday theme are you?

No.

> (That may have been unique to MythBuntu). When I tried it my frontend grew
> to nearly 3GB before I caught it. If I hadn't I would have eventually run out
> of memory and swap space.

Probably a hazard of ginning something up without complete testing?

> Have you looked in the log files for anything interesting?

Some. But I'm not versed in what to look for in which logs.

> Is this a traditional system with cpu and case fans?

See here for a similar style, or maybe the same thing:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M58P-Core-2-Duo-3.0GHz-4GB-750GB-Win-7-Professional-64-bit-SFF-Computer-Refurbished/8763150/product.html?refccid=6MHKRX5A7LPZEXSBX36T5Q36HY&searchidx=31

There is a serious fan with a duct over the processor.

> I assume you've looked
> inside and would notice, but I've had systems suffer from random lockups due to
> heat because the heatsinks were completely blocked with dust buildup.

I did have the case open recently when I added some RAM. I inspected for
dust, but what I found was minor. While not running it right now I have
run the program that displays the various temperatures inside the box,
and they've always been well within reason. (It's been a long time since
I did that, so I don't recall what the numbers are.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens