[PLUG] Stable guest for Virtualbox - Win 7 or 8?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Jan 14 18:56:45 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 10:29 AM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Windows 7 or 8 for a long term virtual guest?  Which is more
> Virtualbox compatible and less dancing-paperclip disgusting?

I can't speak to Windows 8, but I have been successfully using Windows 7
running virtually in VirtualBox to be able to run Transcription Gear's
GearPlayer 4 transcription playback software. My understanding is that
Win 8 went the route Ubuntu did with Unity and is aimed at tablets.

I have not had any issues with dancing paper clips, or the like. From a
user interface perspective I'm not finding much difference between Win 7
and Gnome (fallback version, whatever that's currently called) on Ubuntu
12.04.

> <snip>
>
> So - to run only occasionally as a Virtualbox guest, which
> version of Windoze?  What should we be watching out for?
> We must dance with the devil, but in a very limited way.

The only thing I get bitten by is when Windows decides it needs to
install updates overnight, which I could probably tell it not to do
automatically. When that happens I have to restart GearPlayer and find
my place in the recording, which I log every time I stop transcribing,
like for lunch. But, if you're not going to allow Win 7 to see the
outside world, and if you'll only be running it infrequently, then that
shouldn't be a problem for you.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens