[PLUG] Recommended Disk Test

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jan 15 15:01:58 PST 2015

On 01/15/2015 12:42 PM, Brian Martin wrote:
>> sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
> As mentioned by others, your disk is 4.2 years old (Power_On_Hours / 24
> / 365), so it's beyond the planned lifespan of 3  years -- though most
> disks exceed that.  You can safely do the following:
>       - "sudo smartctl -t offline /dev/sda"
>       - wait the named amount of time +50%, because their estimates are
> always optimistic
=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART off-line routine immediately in off-line
mode".
Drive command "Execute SMART off-line routine immediately in off-line
mode" successful.
Testing has begun.
Please wait 625 seconds for test to complete.
Test will complete after Thu Jan 15 15:07:29 2015

I'll come back to it after 3:30 and run the next part.

>       - "sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda"
> You should see an entry under extended tests with a LifeTime hours that
> matches the current value of Power_On_Hours.  It'll report whether it
> detected errors or not.  This test is non-destructive, can be run
> on-line (despite the "offline" name -- probably a historical artifact),
> but is only somewhat effective in detecting problems.
>
> I've used lots of other test from the various manufacturers (see my
> article at http://www.pdxsys.com/articles/hard-drive-test-tools/ for
> info), but these are destructive and the best one was only 75% effective
> at detecting a known failed drive

Thanks. I've got a new power supply on order. Should arrive Monday.

I'll keep in mind that this  hard drive is old, and should be replaced,
soon.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens