[PLUG] Recommended Disk Test

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jan 15 23:23:47 UTC 2015

On 01/15/2015 03:09 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
> Maybe the problem is in the software, not the hardware. What happens
> if you just run the machine for a few weeks without MythTV running.

I'd miss the game. :-)

> Or you could run top or  something occasionally and see if there is a
> memory leak

I used to run top over an ssh connection for days at a time. When the
machine froze there wasn't anything useful I could see other than that
top was also frozen.

> or maybe try the windows solution and manually reboot it
> every evening and see if the problem goes away.

That's an interesting thought. Once I've installed the new power supply,
if the problem doesn't go away, I'll give that a try.

> Or perhaps there is a
> better way to narrow down the problem.

When it first started happening I had left the MythTV front end program
running. I've since shut that program down after watching the TV. It
hasn't made any difference I've been able to observe, though.

Thanks for your ideas.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens