[PLUG] Future Time Stamp: Clocks FUBAR

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 16 11:12:58 PST 2015

   Trying to build the latest sqlite-3.8.8. The time stamp on the source .zip
file is 01-16-2015 05:47. I unzip it, then tar it at 10:56. When I look at
the time stamp in the .tar file it's 2015-01-16 20:47.

   The date command shows Fri Jan 16 10:57:55 PST 2015 so it appears that the
hwclock is out of sync with the system clock. When I set the hwclock to the
system time (with the -s option), the date command shows what appears to be
UTC rather than local time. Setting the the correct time with date then
running 'hwclock -w' seems to set the hardware clock to the correct time,
but when I tar the directory, the timestamp is again in the future.

   Earlier this week a web page hung the system; my attempts to shut down the
GUI and start over failed so I rebooted the machine. This somehow FUBAR'd
the clocks.

   Not understanding how to get the hardware and system clocks correctly set
on this Slackware system, I need a clue stick from you SysAdmin gurus.

TIA,