[PLUG] External drive recommendations

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 18:10:37 UTC 2015

My 3.0 TB Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 drive is apparently failing. My first
clue was that Ktorrent kept crashing yesterday. (I keep Ktorrent
running 24/7 seeding distros and old movies; the latter are stored on
the GoFlex.) This morning I found that it had crashed again overnight.
Checking /var/log/syslog I find repeated read/write errors to the drive.

The drive is actually a warranty replacement, as the first one failed
after about six months. In the past couple of years I have had numerous
drives fail, all Seagate, most still under warranty. In other words,
Seagate is at the top of my "do not buy" list.

I'd like to get something locally, as I want to try to recover the data
asap. Does anyone have any recommendations for large external USB 3.0
drives?