[PLUG] Zotac, Extra Ethernet, ALIX?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Jan 18 10:31:21 UTC 2015

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 06:26:13PM -0800, Paul English wrote:
>> Portland is a little far from Seattle for me to join, but I'm very
>> curious about the Zotac - which model is it? And most importantly -
>> does it have a mini-PCIe slot?

Keith> We will look, I hope someone reminds me at Clinic to look at
Keith> this.  There is no good way to get another port out of the box
Keith> without cutting a hole.  There are many fanless boxen with
Keith> multiple gigabit NICs on the market these days; that seems like a
Keith> cheaper/better way to go.

Keith> For lower speed, routing my mere 15Mbps FIOS, I make do with a
Keith> three port ALIX from PCengines (a 24 port gigabit switch on the
Keith> internal network).  Fellow plugger Russell Senior knows a lot
Keith> more about ALIX than I do.  If I was ambitious, I would enable
Keith> the AMD Geode (X86) processor's built-in crypto engine to
Keith> accelerate OpenVPN.

Alix are 10/100 ethernet, but pcengines.ch has a newer board called the
APU that might be worth looking at.  Three gigE interfaces, coreboot, and a few
mini-PCIe slots as well.  About $150 for the apu1d4 + a case and shipping.

  http://pcengines.ch/apu.htm
  http://pcengines.ch/order1.php?c=4

I don't actually have any first-hand experiences with the APU, but I'm
looking for an excuse.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net