[PLUG] Future Time Stamp: Clocks FUBAR

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 19 18:01:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Galen Seitz wrote:

> I know you've been having clock problems, but I'm not sure if you gotten
> it fixed yet. Thus this message.

Galen,

   Yep, all fixed. I messed things up by futzing with the hardware clock. All
fixed after a couple of reboots, the first requiring running e2fsck on
unmountable partitions, the second to let the boot process check and repair
the last two partitions.

   Hardware clock keeps track of time only when the system's off, so that's
not an issue for this host. So, correctly setting the date and time and
assigning appropriate secondary time servers in /etc/ntp.conf has everything
working properly now.

   The source of the problem is that the timestamp in the downloaded
sqlite-3.8.8-src.zip file is 2015-01-16 20:47 while the timestamp of the zip
file itself on Hipp's SQLite Web site is 2015-01-16 05:47, or 15 hours
earlier than the files within it. I downloaded the source zip file about
09:30 last Friday. How and why there's a time discrepancy I've no idea. The
solution was to wait until Saturday (the 17th). Conversion from .zip to .tgz
was flawless, as was building and upgrading.

Thanks for the heads-up,