[PLUG] GIMP alternatives (grump)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 21 21:59:24 UTC 2015

I am preparing to upgrade distros, and just tried using
GIMP 2.8 on the test machine.

GIMP now defaults to its internal format XCF, regardless of the
source file type. Saving to the original format (JPG, PNG, etc.)
requires an export, and remembering the original format type.

This sucks - I don't care what internal format they inflict on
themselves, the rest of the world does NOT use XCF for any end
user application that I know of (office tools, screen capture,
web browser, presentations, surface mapping for Povray, etc.).

What to do?  The most obvious thing is to downrev the new systems
to GIMP 2.6, and keep using the tool I am used to.  Or downrev to
2.4, which I remember as being more usable still.

The GIMP developers seem to focus on ever more complex tasks
rather than the simple image manipulations I do (cropping,
scaling, enhancement, cut and paste, a lot of presentation
slide preparation work).  I would like user settable defaults,
and the ability to create macros to streamline my workflow.

I should probably find a different image manipulation program,
focused on throughput rather than complex features, with an
active development community focused on security and stability
rather than feature bloat and imposing a schema on others.

Any suggested tools?

Keith

P.S. "Welcome to Fire Extinguisher 2.8.  This multilayered
dropdown graphical menu will help you customize your fire
suppression experience, while optimizing your use of flame
retardant.  Please select the dropdown menu, and check off
the materials that are currently combusting.  For accurate
characterization, please indicate whether each material is
hot, smoldering, burning, shooting flames, or exploding.
On page 37 of the menu, indicate whether you have allergic
reactions to any of these toxic substances ..."

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com