[PLUG] Resolved: Audio noise

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Jan 26 13:13:58 PST 2015

On 01/23/2015 05:11 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> Watched some recordings this evening with the new power supply in my
>> MythTV system. There is some odd noise that is most prevalent while
>> watching recordings. <snip>

After much fiddling with cable placements the noise went away. I had the
computer sitting up on the table on which the TV sits, and had that
table pulled away from the wall a bit. With the computer running, and
the front end running, but with both the TV and the stereo off, I
started moving things around to tidy up a bit. While moving the computer
I heard a buzzing from inside the case. It was repeatable. I discovered
it was the Ethernet cable. It looped around some power cords. The loop
was around six inches. I could move just that cable and get the noise to
go away and return. I disconnected that cable, unlooped it from around
any other cables, put it back in, and made sure it was several inches
away from other cables, plus crossing them at 90 degrees. This stopped
the noise.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens