[PLUG] Copying LVM installation to smaller disk

Robert K iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 22:50:31 UTC 2015

Recently I installed Ubuntu 14.10 on a 2TB drive, because it was handy. I selected the LVM filesystem because I thought it might be good to learn more about it. I know virtually nothing about it now, though.
I discovered that I could not back up this installation with the software I had been using. I made an identical installation on a 500GB drive, and found that Clonezilla would back it up. Clonezilla will not copy an image made from the 2TB drive to the smaller one, but I suppose it would copy it to another 2TB drive if necessary, so the backup problem is solved.
At the same time, I'd like to free up the 2TB drive, since I don't need that much space for the Ubuntu installation. The partition structure on the 500GB is probably the same (and, perhaps unfortunately, the volume names are also the same). So it occurred to me that an application such as rsync might be appropriate to copy the files recursively from the large drive to the small one. Could anyone give me advice about how to do this (preferably avoiding the use of the term "simply...")? Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/