[PLUG] /not/ OK, Google

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 19:29:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 1, 2015, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> wrote:
>
> > Google can use a closed source binary module in Chrome and
> > Chromium(!) to eavesdrop:
> >

> https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2015/06/google-chrome-listening-in-to-your-room-shows-the-importance-of-privacy-defense-in-depth/
> >
> > Will we need a "no Android" policy for PLUG meetings?
> > My doctor wife may no longer allow "smart" phones into
> > the patient exam room.
>
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 11:11:23AM -0700, King Beowulf wrote:
>
> > Now that its been identified, the offending code can be easily stripped
> out.
>
> This is true for properly developed Chromium on a Linux
> non-phone computer, but what about Android, which is what
> I wrote about?  Are there functional open-source builds that
> can replace stock AndroidOS on a store-bought Android phone?
>
> My concern is living in a sea of spy phones operated by the
> clueless for the benefit of the spy agencies.  I worry enough
> about my ancient Nokia flip-phone.
>
> Keith
>
> P.S. not relevant to much, but my wife's office has ancient
> Cisco VOIP phones which are poorly designed, and make loud
> noises when a cell phone operates nearby.  Nearby cell phones
> generate a lot of RF when they transmit, so this can be
> detected easily.  This would be a handy feature for a later
> version of the Blackphone.
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com

I don't know about Chrome/Chromium replacement, but there are several other
browsers available including FireFox for Android, but not sure if this kind
of shenanigans is going on there as well or not.

As far as replacing Android OS, there are (depending on your device), many
ROMs available out there, which are for the most part based on Android Open
Source Project (AOSP), which is the most open and "pure" version of Android
available, it is what Google develops directly, and is similar to what you
would find on a Nexus device.  A store bought branded Android phone runs
the carrier/manufacturer's modified version (Samsung, Moto, LG, HTC, all
add their own touches, as well as the carriers VZW, ATT, TMo, Sprint, etc).

There is a fork I suppose you could call it, of AOSP, called Replicant, and
is meant to be as open as possible.
http://www.replicant.us/

As for the apps, you could use Google's aside from Chrome, or you could go
with F-Droid, which is a completely open source repository.
https://f-droid.org/

HTH and FWIW

Matt M.
LinuxKnight