[PLUG] Trimet schedule script

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 15:49:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 00:55:37 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at gate.kl-ic.com> dijo:

>There is probably an easier way to do it, but lacking a
>smart\\\\\spy phone and using Trimet from time to time, I
>download to my portable laptop the most recent bus schedules
>before I ride transit.  I am equidistant between the 54 and
>58 bus lines out here in Beaverton, and it helps to know which
>will arrive first.  If I take my bicycle I ride to Beaverton
>transit center to take the Max, either Red or Blue lines.
>
>So, I wrote the shell script below,  to wget the pdf schedules
>for "my" transit lines, and save them as more easily recognized
>names, times, and directions.  It is not difficult to text edit
>the script for other lines, and a better programmer than I could
>write a script that writes scripts like this for any arbitrary
>set of bus and Max lines.

I wonder if it might be easier to adapt the Android app PDX Transit
Finder to run on your laptop. Schedules are fine, but PDX transit
finder uses the GPS device in the bus to find its location and then
reports estimated arrival times. This tells you when the bus is really
going to get there, not just when it is supposed to get there.

There are other Android apps that work much the same way for Trimet; I
settled on PDX Transit Finder only because I find its interface easier
to use.