[PLUG] desktop machine failures

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 4 23:20:46 UTC 2015

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> As I said, "I booted from a live CD and attempted to run fsck. It spends
> zero time to respond that /dev/sda1 is clean."
>
> Are there some options I should use when running fsck?  I know when Ubuntu
> runs automatically  every so often on boot that it takes a few minutes to
> complete.  Yet when I run fsck from the live CD it completes immediately,
> with no errors.

Denis,

   After booting with the live CD and running 'mount' what devices are shown?

   What specific command did you give e2fsck? Notice that there are different
options for fsck and e2fsck. The latter works on ext2, ext3, and ext4 file
systems. I believe the options that Slackware suggested I use include:

   -f (force checking/repairing even if the initial report is a clean device),
   -p (automatically 'preen' -- repair -- the filesystem),
   -v (verbose mode)

   So, to fix /dev/sda1/ write
 	e2fsck -fpv /dev/sda1

   Look at man e2fsck to check whether you want these options, too.