[PLUG] desktop machine failures

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 5 16:17:46 UTC 2015

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> This novice's reading of man e2fsck makes me think that the command e2fsck
> -f /dev/sda1 does not do anything, unless "checking a file system" means
> "fixing a file system".  In fact, if e2fsck -f does fix things what is the
> purpose of the -p option?

Denis,

   According to the man page, -f forces checking the device even when it
appears OK, while the -p option repairs (or 'preens') the filesystem. If the
system does not recogize it's ill, the -p will not do anything unless -f
forced to check. As the syntax line notes, you can combine these and add the
-v verbose flag so you see what's going on. That is, e2fsck -fpv /dev/sda1/
will force a check and repair any breaks that can be safely done without
human intervention.