[PLUG] desktop machine failures

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 23:42:16 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:

> You may want to check your disk's health and run some tests using
> smartctl.
>
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T.>
>

> galen

Galen,

I had looked the the SMART data yesterday--healthy.

Your link yields no info-- "There is currently no text in this page. You
can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs,
but you do not have permission to create this page."

apropos smart and man smart yield nothing.

But there is a GUI installed on my system which displays the SMART
data--says the disk is healthy.  But I am running tests as I write this.
It looks like it will take some time.  While the tests are running and I
move the mouse around the window, very brief messages pop up--brief enough
that I had to video the message to be able to read it:
"Type: Failure is a sign of imminent disk failure (Pre-Fail)
Updates: Every time data is collected (Online)
Raw:oxf31600000000"

Seems strange to report errors so that they cannot be read...Maybe it is
just a less-than-polished GUI.

I will post results when the tests complete.

-Denis