[PLUG] Mate vs Gnome Classic with fixes

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 9 16:47:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 07:39:43AM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> I  searched "gnome resize disable".  I saw many responses, but am too
> clueless to know if  any help your issue.

90% of those links were obsolete or irrelevant (welcome to the
web), but I persisted and found:

1) dconf write /org/gnome/shell/classic-overrides/edge-tiling false
2) dconf write /org/gnome/shell/overrides/edge-tiling false

...  the edge resize behavior went away.  Yay! The magic word
is "tiling".  To thwart a fool, you must talk like a fool ...

----

Next, to get rid of the hot-corner behavior (which is still
accessible through the "windows" key on the keyboard) for my
redhat-style machine I had to do two things:

1) yum install  gnome-shell-browser-plugin

This allows firefox to install gnome-shell plugins - which
seems insecure to me, but that's the way they do it (even
though firefox doesn't permit to use older versions of java
and flash, but doesn't help me update them ... ).

2) surf to
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/118/no-top-left-corner/
and move the slider switch to "on"

That stops the annoying corner behavior.  I feel better now,
though there are still dozens of things to fix:  java, disable
iTunes application detector, add functionality back to the top
bar (like system monitor), etc.

My strategy will be to get Gnome-Classic to a minimally usable
state over the next few months, but use MATE as long as it is
available.  Oh, and donate $200 to the MATE project, hopefully
to help prolong that availability.  That is more important than
fixing my car.

Keith

P.S. regards XFCE and others - interesting options, but the
distro I run (Scientific Linux) is tied to GNOME, and I do not
want to give up hundreds of useful packages and addons in an
attempt to escape Gnome 3 foolishness.  When the providers of
those tools leave in disgust, so will I.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com