[PLUG] Using GitHub Download

Nat Taylor bioborg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 02:48:53 UTC 2015

Read the README.md file that comes with the project.  If you scroll down
its going to be printed out on the screen, too, at the bottom of the list
of files.

If this is the one: https://github.com/hadley/ggplot2-book
then you read the README.md which I have pasted below.  Ideally you have
RStudio installed, note the highlighted part.  Otherwise you type the
commands on the command line.

You're going to need git installed, you can install it in memory using the
package manager of the liveCD if its not included, otherwise install it on
your linux machine first, and you are also going to need gcc (I think) and
the dependencies listed in the next section:
Build the book

You can build the pdf by cloning this repo and running make:

$ git clone https://github.com/hadley/ggplot2-book.git
$ cd ggplot2-book
$ make

If you use RStudio, you can press Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + B to run make.

Installing dependencies

To successfully build this book, you'll need R package development
prerequisites
<https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200486498-Package-Development-Prerequisites>
, pandoc and pandoc-citeproc <http://pandoc.org/installing.html>,
potentially the Inconsolata font
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/inconsolata/>, and a number of R
packages. The CRAN packages we depend on are listed in the DESCRIPTION, so
you can install them quickly via devtools
<http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/devtools/>:

devtools::install_deps("path/to/ggplot2-book", dependencies = TRUE)

There are also a couple GitHub packages which we depend on:

devtools::install_github(c("adletaw/captioner", "hadley/bookdown"))