[PLUG] Firefox again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 15:30:06 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 06:08:23 -0700
Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:

>On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 08:01:59PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> Firefox 38.0 on Xubuntu 14.04.1, up to date.
>>
>> I used to have an URL bar and a smaller search bar in the same
>> toolbar. Suddenly my URL bar is missing; that is, what was the URL
>> bar has become a larger search bar. I no longer have any way to tell
>> what URL I am on. If someone thought this was an improvement I'd
>> like to find him so I can explain some things, non-verbally.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to get the URL bar back?
>
>Firefox 39 on Arch Linux - like the other two responders I also have
>separate URL and Search boxes. You may be able to undo what was done
>by visiting about:customize - which you can find a link to under the
>View menu.
>
>It has a drag and drop interface. On my system I was able to remove
>and add the URL and Search boxes. So presumably you can too.

Thanks to all for the responses. I didn't know about Ctrl-l, but I did
try the Customize link. Unfortunately, it opened a blank page. A Google
search produced the idea of launching Firefox in safe mode, which
disables all add-ons. That returned the long bar from a Search bar to an
URL bar, but then the Search bar was still missing.

Finally I looked at my add-ons where I discovered one added by Ubuntu
(why?). I disabled it, restarted Firefox normally, and the URL bar was
still there, but still no Search bar. However, after disabling the
Ubuntu add-on the Customize link worked normally, and I was able to use
it to add the Search bar.