[PLUG] Forced to update into TWENTIETH century

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:10:01 UTC 2015

I have Hughes, and there are times it really acts like dialup, so you might
find it to your liking. My personal opinion is if rural American fed us like
Hughes treats Rural America we would all die of starvation. But it is what
it
is, and if it is the only option they have you by the belt and there is not
much
you can do if you want a internet connection, and there are no other
options.

My project is to get me a 5Ghz link from town into here and send Hughes
packing.

I really do not understand why not go to the higher speeds if that is all
that
is offered in your area. Of course if you are like me and satellite is now
all
that is offered, you either have to go without, go satellite or as others
have
pointed out, try to find another dialup ISP.

I only live less that 4 miles from the DSLAM here in town, and cable is
within
a mile of my place, but none of the wide band solutions consider it worth
their
while to update the infrastructure to bring us up to speed. They have cherry
picked all of the easy stuff, all the while they are getting money from the
universal fund for extending into rural areas wonder what they are doing
with
it?

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 2015, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > So far I've been referred to SIX potential ISP's. earthlink is 1st to
> > receive 2 votes
>
>    There's also hughes.net for satellite connections. However, you might
> find
> someone offering 300-1200 bps access, but that's going to be a difficult
> search.
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.