[PLUG] Revised questions was [ Forced to update into TWENTIETH century]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Jun 10 11:31:44 UTC 2015

Some have said my original post required clarification.

My ISP is terminating dial-up connectivity.
I have decided to go wireless:
  1.A. fed up with local telco and cable company.
    B. want a single solution wherever I am at moment.
  2. it may be a short term ( i.e. <2 year) test, some having
suggested
     that a wired solution is better. Some have made the point
that once
     "high speed" is available "high usage" soon to follow ;/
  3. I'm uncomfortable with a WiFi/hotspot solution.

No provider preferences as I don't currently have a cell phone.
The service must be available in rural Southwest Missouri.

*IF* I go with with a cell phone solution:
   1. I *MUST* be able to tether it to my computer via a USB cable.
   2. the dialing key pad must be large (I wear trifocals).
   3. if coerced into using "smartphone(sic)", must be able to
      wipe undesired apps.

I prefer a USB modem solution (3G vs 4G not an issue).
As a decades long dial-up user, I see no need for more than 1
Gig/month.

My primary usage is email and USENET. My surfing is with with
JavaScript
disabled as its primary function seems to be to force feed me
unwanted crud.

Thank you for comments already received.