[PLUG] useradd issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 13 22:04:05 UTC 2015

   For some reason I've not been able to discern, when I add me as a user to
the netbook it looks OK until I log in. Then I get the message that 'no
directory, logging in with HOME=/'.

   The useradd command I use is:
 	useradd -m -d /home/rshepard -u 1000 -g 100 -s /bin/bash rshepard

   The /home/ directory contains ftp/, lost+found, and rshepard. The first
two are owned by root.root, the last by rshepard.users. /etc/passwd has the
line 'rshepard:x:1000:100::/home/rshepard:/bin/bash' and group 100 is
'users'. As root, the password for rshepard is created and works to log in.

   There's nothing I see in the useradd man page or my Web searches that
explains why this time I cannot log in to /home/rshepard/ on the netbook.
Prior to my negligent error of wiping out /etc/ the same command worked as
it's supposed to work and when I log in as a user it's in /home/rshepard/.

   I've no idea where to look for a solution since everything appears correct
but it's just not working.

   Your thoughts are needed.