[PLUG] useradd issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 13 23:02:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, King Beowulf wrote:

> That is odd.  Your "passwd" entry appears wrong. it should read
> something like
> rshepard:x:1000:100:,,,:/home/rshepard:/bin/bash

Ed,

   On my server/workstation the passwd entry has the same format. That is,
two colons between the group number and the home directory.

> Some of the the default options (/etc/default/useradd) appears screwy
> and/or then didn't get overridden with your options.  Does the file
> /etc/default/useradd exist:
>
> # useradd defaults file
> GROUP=100
> HOME=/home
> INACTIVE=-1
> EXPIRE=
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SKEL=/etc/skel
> CREATE_MAIL_SPOOL=yes
>
> Its been awhile since I used "useradd", Slackware has the better
> script "adduser" front-end invoked via

   Yep. And the contents are the same as above.

> # adduser rshepard

   I used to use adduser, but when I tried to look at its man page earler
today I found there is no man page. So, I assumed that adduser did not
exist.