[PLUG] useradd issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jun 13 23:45:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Dale Snell wrote:

> 1.  Is your shadow password entry correct?

Dale,

   As far as I can tell.

> 2,  Is /home/rshepard really a directory?  (I know it almost
>    certainly is, but just for the sake of completeness...)

   Yep.

> 3.  Can you log in from root, using "su -l rshepard"?

   I can log in as root, I can cd to /home/rshepard and see nothing there,
but ... as I wrote earlier, even a brand new user produces the same results.

   So, ... I'll start over again with the third installation. The first
worked just fine until I screwed the pooch on it so this time I'll even
repartition using cfdisk just in case something's screwy with the /home
partition. That would certainly explain the problem. As a matter of fact,
that must be the reason. Stay tuned for details after the next iteration.

Thanks for replying,