[PLUG] Sound works for root, not for user

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 18 17:42:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, King Beowulf wrote:

> make sure /dev/snd are root:root and perms 755; contents are
> root:audio with perms 660 and suid on execution.

Ed,

   Yes, /dev/snd/ is 755 and owned by root:root.

   What I don't understand is why the xmms warning message tells me that
oss_open() failed to open /dev/dsp. Since OSS has been deprecated why is
alsa calling oss_open()?

   It must be a permission problem somewhere since root can produce sound but
I cannot.