[PLUG] Sound works for root, not for user [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 19 01:42:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015, King Beowulf wrote:

> If you are using USB speakers, checkif something changed there, udev/perm
> wise, since USB speakers register as a sound card, and you migjt be trying
> to use the motherboard sound. Better yet, get the a proper analog set that
> plugs into the sound card. check "lsmod" to see how many sound drivers are
> loaded!

   Ver-r-r-ry interesting. I disconnected the speakers to try them on my
laptop and discovered that the USB cable provides the power to the speakers,
and the mini-phone plug provides the audio. Put the cables in a different
pair of ports and ... they worked.

   Moved the USB cable to its original port, tested, and heard sound. Moved
the mini-phone plug back and the sound still worked. So, somehow, I managed
to slightly move the phone plug out of its socket just enough to stop
working.

   Problem resolved. And it shows me how long it's been since I connected
those speakers that I did not remember there are two cables attaching them
to the unit.

Thanks to all of you!