[PLUG] Test Results Re: EMF help needed Additional note

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Jun 28 19:25:15 UTC 2015

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, Fred James wrote:
>
>> Test ...
>> Moved system 1 monitor to system 2 UPS
>> 	All seemed well for a few days ... oops ... flashing/black screen has
>> started again.
>>
>> Thought ... the problem seems to follow the monitor, so replace monitor
>> (aged 5+ years)
>
> Fred,
>
>     You plugged monitor 1 into a different UPS, but did you swap monitors so
> that monitor 2 was adjacent to the wall and monitor 1 was 2 m away? The
> plug location might be less important than the monitor location. I would
> test that situation before buying a new monitor. At least this way, if you
> do buy a new one, you'll know that it's definitely the monitor and not the
> physical location or the UPS into which it is plugged.
>
> Rich
> ___

I generally agree.
However the tests performed eliminated UPS associated problems
which could have been:
   1. defective UPS
   2. marginally overloaded UPS (I may be decades out of practice
but ... ;]

Swapping physical location of monitors is a reasonable next step.
I *doubt* that is problem. CAVEAT GOTCHA - there must be a test
to distinguish between monitor locations and interface card or
computer issues.

I confess.
I'm explicitly using this as a platform to promote good
troubleshooting techniques ;/