[PLUG] WiFi Access Point redirects.

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Mar 4 09:12:04 UTC 2015

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> writes:

Chuck> Folks, I am not sure if it is me or just that the mechanisim used
Chuck> to redirect a browser on WiFi when being Queried for a login or
Chuck> some sort of acceptance of usage.

The typical captive portal redirect you are talking about can't deal
with an SSL connection.  That's because your browser will not be able to
authenticate the redirect page as the one it asked for.  Many sites
default to HTTPS now: google, facebook, twitter, etc.

The solution to this is to make sure to go to a non-SSL page.  The
National Weather Service or calagator are favorites of mine, but it
doesn't matter, as long as it's not HTTPS URL.  That should usually do
the trick.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net