[PLUG] WiFi Access Point redirects.

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:19:47 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015, Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I will test that one out as soon as I get to the airport today. Maybe at
> the mall I am doing work at, the first time I get a chance I will test it
> out.
>
> Thank you for the fast come back.
>  On Mar 4, 2015 1:12 AM, "Russell Senior"
> >
> > The typical captive portal redirect you are talking about can't deal
> > with an SSL connection.  That's because your browser will not be able to
> > authenticate the redirect page as the one it asked for.  Many sites
> > default to HTTPS now: google, facebook, twitter, etc.
> >
> > The solution to this is to make sure to go to a non-SSL page.  The
> > National Weather Service or calagator are favorites of mine, but it
> > doesn't matter, as long as it's not HTTPS URL.  That should usually do
> > the trick.
> >

> > --
> > Russell Senior, President
> > russell at personaltelco.net <javascript:;>

Besides making sure not to try to redirect off of a SSL (https) site, you
may just want to store your boarding pass on the phone (locally). Most
airline apps do this, or if on an iPhone, store boarding pass from app or
email in Passbook. That way, no wifi or cell signal needed at security or
the gate.

Another trick, given that cell band width is relatively cheap: use the cell
signal not wifi for data - or at least have a phone that is smart enough to
automatically switch between cell data and wifi, pending which one is
available.

Safe travels.
-Ed

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0