[PLUG] Flash (sigh)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 4 21:03:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 11:01:23 -0800
Nat Taylor <bioborg at gmail.com> dijo:

>It's nice that they call it safe-upgrade, huh?  Makes all that scary
>stuff just a little bit less scary.
>Your kernel was probably held back, huh?  It updated stuff like
>linux-image-3.*something-or-another*, didn't it?  Mine was held back
>till I tried aptitude recently.
>
>I guess a question would be, how did you get there?  Have you been
>performing regular updates with Xubuntu's update-manager?  If so, why
>wasn't it updating the stuff that aptitude did?  Maybe run the
>safe-upgrade every now and then to keep yourself from getting into a
>similar pickle later...
>I think an apt-get dist-upgrade would have done the same thing, in
>retrospect..

I generally keep this computer up to date with Ubuntu's Update Manager,
usually once a month Sunday morning before going to the Clinic. I do it
then because I am going to shut down and restart anyway, plus when I
restart it will be at the Clinic where I will have smart people
available in case the update messed something up fatally. But this time
I ran Update Manager just to see if it would show what might be wrong
with the Flash stuff, and it said everything was up to date. After
running the safe-upgrade I ran it again just for kicks, and this time
it said the computer needed to be restarted (which I haven't done yet).

I was surprised when your suggestions included installing aptitude. I
never used it before, although I've long been aware of its existence and
that many prefer it. But I always assumed that it was installed as part
of the Ubuntu default packages. I guess not.