[PLUG] Vulnerable Hardware

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Mon Mar 9 21:43:27 UTC 2015

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2015, Tim wrote:
>
>> Here's a related issue, but far far worse than Seagate/TLS issues:
>>  http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/03/exploiting-dram-rowhammer-bug-to-gain.html
>>

>> Thanks hardware companies for making it impossible to provide local
>> security on any PC with any OS!
>
> TFA said the results all came from laptops: "We also tested some
> desktop machines, but did not see any bit flips on those. That could
> be because they were all relatively high-end machines with ECC memory.
> The ECC could be hiding bit flips."
>
> So all you need to do is carry around an ECC-equipped desktop or
> server (along with cables, monitor, keyboard, pointing device) and
> you're secure. Simple fix!
Is there no ECC memory in laptops?  Oops ... found the answer to that
one at ...

<http://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-laptops-with-ECC-memory>

<snip>
"
Trevor Inkpen, CanadaRAM.com - memory and hard drive...

In general, laptops do not use ECC memory. There may be military-spec
models available, but you will not find ECC memory on any retail laptop
model. For ECC to be implemented, the motherboard memory controller must
support ECC.  Laptops are designed and sold for the consumer market, for
light weight, portability and long battery life. Unlike desktop
machines, laptop motherboards are not standardized designs but are
custom designed for each model line, so there is no ability to swap in
alternate motherboards with ECC capability.

Very few laptops are designed and sold for industrial or scientific use,
although there are some ruggedized laptops which are sold for military
and law enforcement applications, and there are some (very rare) ECC
SODIMMs produced by Samsung.
"
</snip>

Regards